Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Brenda's Turn - PPS TAG Advisory Council - Reflections

I am no longer officially a member of the PPS TAG Advisory Council.  I will continue to be involved in advocacy efforts at the District and State levels.  Below is my reflection on my accomplishments in this role:

When I became interested and engaged in the work of the TAGAC in spring, 2011, the Council was meeting sporadically and had few members.  Due to my perseverance, networking, and outreach, the Council grew to a group of as many as 20 members and non-members meeting regularly.  I am taking this opportunity to share the highlights of my leadership (2012-2013) and tenure (2011-2014) on the Council:

Survey:  Under my leadership during the 2012-2013 school year, a survey went out to the parents of TAG identified students.  This survey reflects the collective work of the Council and especially that of you in ensuring that the analytics were framed just right.

Committee Model:  The committee model for the Council was born out of the survey results and the will of the Council members in wanting to address the needs identified in the survey.  As recent past chair of the Council, I appreciated having the opportunity to work with the team on refining and approving the “A Recommended Framework for Improved TAG Services in PPS” approved by the Council on June 10, 2014.

Communication:  With support of other Council members, the Council’s work and PPS TAG services were highlighted in the Portland Tribune and on OPB’s Think Out Loud program.  I have tirelessly posted on a variety of blogs, settings, and list serves about the Council.

TAG 101:  My advocacy also brought about moving the TAG 101 program from the Blanchard Education Service Center to Marshall High School.  The model also evolved into a more user-friendly opportunity of parents engaging with one another and learning more about TAG through 4 separate workshops (2013). 

Outreach:  As a Member of the Oregon Association of Talented and Gifted (OATAG) Board of Directors, I have also been able to promote the accomplishments of the TAG Advisory Council to other TAG parents and school districts.

The change in council leadership and my health last fall prevented me from doing so in the timeframe I had intended.  The report from term as chair will follow in a separate post.

Let's work together to get a committed, strong group of parents working together at Sellwood Middle School and throughout the Portland Public Schools District!

No comments:

Post a Comment